Friday, July 23, 2010

The Blessing in Disguise

How often have you used this phrase? How often have you told yourself, yes, I could take the 'why me' route but am going to take the higher path of knowing this is a good thing?

I know I have used it often but am being challenged now in a way I never expected. What I find beautiful about this phrase is that it is really asking me 'do you practice what you preach?'

So many of us (myself included!) can give the best advice to friends, family, coworkers, etc. as to how to deal with a situation and through which lens we should evaluate what just happened, but how often do we do the same when it comes to our own lives?
I have thought about this many times and only realise now that this is one of the fundamental ways in which I can actually be the authentic woman that I strive to be each and every day. And when things go wrong (in business, relationships, family, health, etc.) this is the true test of my core values and beliefs. When things are easy it's always easy to spout wonderful words of wisdom, but when the light starts to flicker, the storm starts to roll in and you wake up in a mess that was once your life...that is the true test.

I am going through such a test now, in many areas of life, and I see that what is finally pulling me over to the other side, the side where I am practicing what I preach,is being tired of aspiring and not acting.

It starts with a simple task of thinking, how do I honour myself? When am I at my best and how can I make that as habitual as brushing my teeth? For me, it's a simple act of taking a walk in the evening after work instead of sitting on the couch watching a programme. It reconnects me with the natural energy around me and gives me time with myself which is so precious and oh so rare. The other part is committing to writing here in this blog and having the courage to put it out in the world in a way I've never done before.

Small acts, but crucial. As I start to do this I build my own confidence in seeing I am walking my own talk and it makes things seem that much less daunting. So I will ask you this morning, afternoon or evening...what is it that helps you be the best you? Is it a favourite song that will make your morning start off just right (I definitely recommend Journey's Don't Stop Believing if you're ever looking for one)? Meditating? Going for a morning run or doing yoga? Writing, painting, dancing...whatever it is, no matter how small, make a pact with yourself that you'll try to incorporate it into your life just once a week. That's it. Not a huge commitment but one that you know you can achieve.

I promise, that small shift will be the first step towards the authentic walk of your own personal journey.

And if you need any added inspiration to learn how small steps are really big steps broken down take a look at this. Jill Bolte Taylor, a brain scientist, recounting her experience on watching herself have a stroke and how she recovered fully from it over the course of 8 years. If nothing else, it will remind you that we as human beings are capable of anything, it's just about giving it a go: http://tinyurl.com/ax47n4.

No comments:

Post a Comment